Phoenix Community Stores

Category archives for Uncategorized

Recipe of the month

Sweat leeks until almost clear, add chopped garlic and stir until lightly browned. Add Barley stir and add hot water (deglace with wine or vinegar if desired) Add stock cube and seasoning to taste and stir periodically for 45-55 minutes. When cooked, grill some slices of Taifan Smoked Tofu (available at The Phoenix Shop) and place onto top of the barley risotto to serve. Read More

Alan Watson Featherstone’s empowering tips for eating vegan

To mark World Vegan Month 2015, we interviewed Alan Watston Featherstone, long-term Findhorn Foundation community member, founder and Executive Director of the conservation charity Trees for Life whose aim is to restore the Caledonian Forest and its unique wildlife to the Scottish Highlands. I become Vegan a long time ago. I came to live in Findhorn Community in 1978 and was Vegetarian before coming here. In April 1979, I went to a lecture in London, at the World Symposium on Humanity, where Kathleen Jannaway, Secretary of the Vegan Society, articulated all the reasons for being Vegan as all the reasons why I was Vegetarian. It became clear to me that if I was making dietary choices on that basis, being Vegetarian was only a half-way step and it was hypocritical of me to still eat animal products for the reasons that I was not eating meat. A key concern for me is the amount of land it takes to provide food for a person to live off and for animals to operate. There is about a 10% efficiency ratio in terms of how much vegetable material and protein that animals consume which is then converted into meat or milk, the other 90% is used by their own body metabolism. Read More

Shop and Café Opening Hours

Saturday                      10:00 – 17:00 Sunday                         11:00 – 17:00 Phone: 01309 690110   Shop Closed Friday 1st and 2nd of January 2016      Café Opening Hours Monday – Sunday         10.00 – 17.00 Phone: 01309 691900   Cafe Open until the wee hours on 31st December and closed on 1st January 2016.       Read More